The Hyde Coat of Arms reflects the reasons for its establishment as an independent town – its industry. Cotton is shown by the cotton pattern and shuttle, coal by the miner’s axe and the Davy lamp, and hatting by the hatters bow. The lower part of the shield contained the Arms of the manorial family of Hyde. Motto: Onward. Granted: 18 July 1882
Hyde’s growth was inseparable from that of the cotton industry. The earliest mill owners of significance were the Sidebothams, who ran a cotton mill at Kingston 1748. Along with the Sidebothams, the Ashtons were also among the earliest pioneers of the cotton mills.
Hyde played its part in the social unrest which was such a feature of the early 19th century. The townspeople played a particularly important role in campaigning for social and political reform. Notably, John Bradley was responsible for helping to frame the ‘Declaration of Hyde Chartists’, which demanded the proper recognition of rights of the labouring classes. It was a stronghold of the Chartist Movement which, from 1837-1848, being one of the first places to build a public institute to the Chartist cause.
The centre of Hyde was not served by a railway until 1858, but Godley and Newton both had stations on the Manchester to Sheffield line, constructed in 1841. Hyde’s growth had been especially enhanced by the Peak Forest Canal which was opened in 1800. In this period, Hyde was also served by Turnpike roads from Manchester to Stockport.
One of the towns most noted achievements came with the success of Hyde Seals water polo team who, in the period 1904-14, were the finest in the world, three times winning the world championships. Previously the town’s most conspicuous sporting achievement was a rather negative one – her soccer team’s 26-0 defeat by Preston North End in 1887 being the greatest defeat in an F.A. Cup match then or since. In 1930 all Hyde feted Frances Lockett who had won the first ever Cotton Queen contest which had been started in an attempt to boost the flagging fortunes of the trade.
Hyde is also the home of Hyde FC whose nickname is the Tigers. The club was formed on July 27th 1885 at a meeting tin the White Lion Public House. Unfortunately it’s most remembered for it’s 26-0 defeat in the FA cup suffered at the hands of Preston North End in 1887. The club became Hyde United in 1919 after recommencing following the end of World War I, the club changed its name back to Hyde FC in 2010